At brainstorm3.command it gets to "reading process folder" and quits

At brainstorm3.command it gets to "reading process folder" and quits. Does anyone know how to resolve?

Hi @Philosopher51,

Please provide more details:

1. What is your OS?
  2. How are running Brainstorm? The open-source Matlab scripts OR the standalone Java executable?

Best,
Raymundo

Sorry for the incomplete info. Using the latest Mac OS, running on standalone Matlab. Just followed the directions on the Brainstorm site. I hope there is an easy solution!!

Thanks much in advance!!

BTW, the Matlab download I used Winzip specifically for Mac OS if this makes any difference...

Have you seen this post?

Yes, I saw it, but couldn't recall which edition of the standalone I downloaded. But I have just discovered it was the 9.8 (I'm not well versed in computers), so I should be able to download the "b" instead of the "a" and find success. I will do that, and thank you!

I end up with this on brainstorm3.command, which I don't understand.

You need to delete the MATLABROOT.txt file in your user folder: $HOME/.brainstorm/MATLABROOT.txt

Thanks, can you pls remind me what MRC (as in the folder) stands for. And I am not sure what "it would ask you again for the MRC folder" implies. Where do I even find the MRC folder? (I am a newbie at this).

Also, how do I open a terminal, and what is the folder in which I do this: brainstorm3.command?

Finally, I discover that I cannot locate $HOME/.brainstorm/MATLABROOT.txt . How do I find this?

Hi @Philosopher51,

I have replicated your trouble, these are the steps to start Brainstorm:

1. Install the MATLAB Runtime 2022b (9.13)
    MATLAB Runtime - MATLAB Compiler - MATLAB

2. Download the Brainstorm version bst_bin_R2022b_221207.zip it's located at the bottom of the Download page
    https://neuroimage.usc.edu/bst/download.php

3. Make the brainstorm3.command file in brainstorm3/bin/R2022b/ is executable, with this command in the terminal:
    chmod a+x brainstorm3.command

4. Execute brainstorm3.command program in the terminal indicating the location of the Matlab Runtime:
    ./brainstorm3.command /Applications/MATLAB/MATLAB_Runtime/2022b

5. Step 4 is only needed the very first time Brainstorm runs. After that you can click on the brainstorm3.command file to start Brainstorm.

Best,
Raymundo

Thank you very much Raymundo, I appreciate your efforts on my behalf! I will accomplish these tasks and provide you with the results which, if successful, will indicate I did them correctly.

Thank you again very much!

I downloaded and unzipped bst_bib_R2022b_221207.zip. brainstorm3 shows in application folder. At brainstorm3.command I am not given access and told to go to permissions file, which told me that I do in fact have read/write privilege, which I don't understand. I uploaded the attached to show you where I am at presently.

In the terminal, you need to navigate to the folder brainstorm3/bin/R2022b/ then execute the chmod command there. Same things goes for the step 4.

Okay, I take it that when I click on brainstorm3.command when I get to R22022b I go to the terminal. Mac doesn't show the entire title of the folder, so I was confused by that.

And thanks much again!
Well, I tried that with the exact same response. I wonder if I am utilizing the terminal correctly.

Hello @Raymundo.Cassani, are you open to us jumping on a zoom or google meets call for 5 minutes to walkthrough this? Attached is a screenshot of my current predicament, not having appropriate access privileges. Thank you.

@Philosopher51
Either you follow what is indicated in this dialog window, or you add "sudo" at the beginning of the "chmod" command.
Maybe you should get some basic training on using a MacOS terminal (users privileges, files rights, executing commands) before trying to go any further. Using research software on a Mac might be complicated otherwise...

Well, I think you hit the nail on the head. Will do that.
And thanks for the advice, thanks very much.