DUNEuro head model computation fails

Hi Takfarinas,

Unfortunately I am not allowed to share the data for ethical reasons. I will try and explore the problem myself - it might be related to electrode position indeed.

Thank you,
Ramtin

If you run the tutorial data without a problem, then the issue is probably in your model/data.
Check the location of the sources and the sensors. Let me know if you need further help.

After a number of attempts, I obtained a successful outcome when selecting the low resolution pial as cortex, forcing the source space to gray layer, and building a regular (adaptive won't work) grid within the cortex.

I cannot tell if it is a casual outcome though, I hope this will consistently work for all the recordings.

To better understand how this process works: should the grid ideally be defined to have a size <= than the actual source space (which I presume depends solely on the sensors and should be within the cortex)? And this is to provide an anatomical constraint to the inverse model, right? Or please let me know if I am misunderstanding anything.

Thank you,
Ramtin

This can explain why the first error, there are probably some sources outside of the brain mesh when using the other pial cortex.

Do you mean the Grid the FEM mesh?
if so, then the answer is yes; since the FEM source model uses the mesh nodes to model the dipole, so it's better to have a finer mesh than the source grid.

For the SEEG you need to make sure that all the sensors are within the brain.

So, Im not sure what you mean, but basically, yes, the seeg channels' locations and the brain sources are supposed to be within the brain areas.

In practical terms, this means that the surface I select as cortex should be contained within the source grid I define when setting up the head model computation, right? If this is the case, in principle DUNEuro should not fail if I select the gray surface as cortex, force the source space to gray and generate the grid within the whole head, am I right?

To clarify: I am working with EEG, not sEEG. The sensors are on the scalp.

If you use the volume grid model, all the sources will be defined within the surface you define as the cortex (all the volume enclosed by the cortex surface).
If you use the cortical surface, the sources will be defined at the vertices of the surface.

If the error is related to the source location, so then in principle, it should not fail,

I am working with the volume model. Thank you for the clarification!

1 Like

Great then, please take into account my previous message.

And you can also refer to the main paper and tutorial for more details or ask here :slight_smile:

1 Like