Installation fails - mountain lion/matlab 7.10

Hi ~

I’ve downloaded brainstorm_130726.zip onto my new machine (MacBook Pro Mountain Lion/Matlab 7.10). When I launch brainstorm for the first time - the following crash occurs.

Thoughts?
Many thanks
Agatha

EDU>> brainstorm

BST> Starting Brainstorm:
BST> =================================
BST> Version: 3.1.130719 (19-Jul-2013)
BST> Checking internet connectivity… ok
BST> Compiling main interface files…
BST> Emptying temporary directory…
BST> Deleting old process reports…
BST> Loading configuration file…
BST> Loading default channel selections…
BST> Initializing user interface…
BST> WARNING: Mutex “Brainstorm” already exists.

** Error: Line 644: No appropriate method, property, or field ICON_COLORMAP_CONNECT for class org.brainstorm.icon.IconLoader.
** Call stack:
** >bst_colormaps.m>CreateAllMenus at 644
** >bst_call.m at 28
** >macro_methodcall.m at 39
** >bst_colormaps.m at 70
** >gui_brainstorm.m>CreateWindow at 118
** >bst_call.m at 26
** >macro_methodcall.m at 37
** >gui_brainstorm.m at 30
** >gui_initialize.m at 39
** >bst_startup.m at 306
** >brainstorm.m at 93

** Error: Line 177: No appropriate method, property, or field ICON_LAYOUT_SELECT for class org.brainstorm.icon.IconLoader.
** Call stack:
** >gui_brainstorm.m>CreateWindow at 177
** >bst_call.m at 26
** >macro_methodcall.m at 37
** >gui_brainstorm.m at 30
** >gui_initialize.m at 39
** >bst_startup.m at 306
** >brainstorm.m at 93

??? Error using ==> bst_get at 2530
Brainstorm GUI is not yet initialized

Error in ==> gui_show at 185
jContainer = bst_get(‘PanelContainer’, contName);

Error in ==> gui_initialize at 43
gui_show(‘panel_protocols’, ‘BrainstormPanel’, ‘explorer’);

Error in ==> bst_startup at 306
gui_initialize(NoGUI);

Error in ==> brainstorm at 93
bst_startup(BrainstormHomeDir);

Hi Agatha,

Either you haven’t closed matlab after unzipping the new version, or you haven’t replaced all the files.

1. Close matlab
  2. Delete the old brainstorm3 folder (will not delete any of your data)
  3. Unzip the new folder
  4. Restart Matlab and Brainstorm

Cheers,
Francois

Francois - Thank you. Mystery solved. Matlab was still open when I unzipped the new file. Silly error on my part . It appears to work now.

I do have two quick feedback points on this import/update issue:

1. When I “updated” from within the software - it also led to the same error. This wasn’t my silly error since I had to have Matlab open to open Brainstorm in the first place. That’s what led me to downloading manually in the first place.

2. When I updated my library/db - I had to actually do this three times before the right thing showed up - and even then the raw data files for each of my subjects seems to be missing (though perhaps that’s b/c of paths - not sure). I tried loading protocol, importing database - none worked and nothing would show up. After a couple of "brainstorm reset"s - it imported 90% of the info. Something is wonky in that import code!

All the best
Agatha

Hi Agatha,

You were updating from a quite old Brainstorm version, I’m sorry I can’t tell you what happened.
The compatibility for the updates is ensured usually up to a year, but after that you can start observing unexpected things when using the automatic updates.
Please keep on updating the software every month (you should see a reminder every 30 days).

After a long period of inactivity, don’t try to update using the interface. Just delete the previous version and get a new one, and start with a “brainstorm reset” before running the software.
Then reload your database. I will enforce this behavior in the future for updates after more than a year of inactivity.

Cheers,
Francois

Thanks very much for following up on this Francois! I will take your advice for future updates.