Sensor coordinates in BrainVision vhdr files are not imported

Dear Francois,

I use BS 25-May-2016 without MATLAB on Win7 PC.

When I import a BrainVisionAnalyzer file (.eeg), corresponding channel info (BrainAmp channels) show channel coordinates as [0.00,0.00,0.00] for all channels. The corresponding .vhdr file contains correct coordinates, such as;

[Coordinates]
; Each entry: Ch<Channel number>=<Radius>,<Theta>,<Phi>
Ch1=98.1,-58.68,-89.52
Ch2=98.96,33.84,89.27

Ch64=98.23,73.93,-28.06
Ch65=0,0,0

I, thus, ‘Add EEG positions’ after importing .eeg file. If you know a better way to import electrode positions, please let me know.

Chie

Hi Chie,
Could you send me an example of files that you would like to import?
Zip one dataset that is not imported correctly (.vhdr, .vmrk, .eeg), upload the file somewhere and send me the link in a separate email (click on my username on this forum).
Thanks
Francois

Dear Francois,

I sent you a link to one of the BVA (.eeg) files via an email.

Chie

Hi Chie,

I fixed the import code for reading realistic 3D positions from the .vhdr files.
Please update Brainstorm (menu Help > Update Brainstorm) and try again.
Can you make sure that the orientation of the cap is correct (left on the left)?

Note that the electrodes will not be correctly registered on the subject’s head because the .vhdr file does not contain the anatomical landmarks necessary to convert automatically the electrodes coordinates to the Brainstorm coordinates system (NAS,LPA,RPA).
If you have a separate file with the electrodes coordinates + the NAS/LPA/RPA points, you could import it after linking the file to your database: right-click on the channel file > Add EEG positions > Import from file.
If you cannot do this, you’ll have to align manually the positions of the head: right-click on the channel file > MRI registration > Edit (read the tooltips of the buttons in the toolbar for help)

Cheers,
Francois

Dear Francois,

I downloaded and installed <brainstorm_160531.zip>. When I started the up-dated BS, the version was displayed as ‘BST> Version: 25-May-2016’. (and the bug was still there)

I repeated download/installation again, but the result was the same. Would it be possible that the archived BS was the old one?

Chie

Hi Chie,

I suspect something went wrong in the update process.

1. Make sure you remove brainstorm completely from your Matlab path (save these changes)
  2. Close Matlab
  3. Delete all the versions of Brainstorm you have on your computer
  4. Download the latest brainstorm_yymmdd.zip from the website
  5. Install it as as indicated on the installation page: http://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Installation

Francois

Dear Francois,

Yes, something went wrong in updating. I still do not know what.

> 1) Make sure you remove brainstorm completely from your Matlab path (save these changes)
> 2) Close Matlab

I usually use BS without MATLAB i.e., with MCR R2015b. Just in case, I re-installed MCR 2015b

> 3) Delete all the versions of Brainstorm you have on your computer
> 4) Download the latest brainstorm_yymmdd.zip from the website

Now I have only <% Brainstorm% v. 3.4 160601 (01-Jun-2016)>. I double clicked <brainstorm3.bat>, then, version <May-25-2016> starts. :frowning:

Just to make sure, I run <brainstorm.m> in the same installation with MATLAB R2016a. Then, I can run <June-1-2016>. And, the bug (in importing .eeg sensor position) is indeed fixed. Thank you very much for this!

You might wonder why I’m making the fuss on the compiled version, but I usually use BS without MATLAB.
It looks to me, that the compiled version is still <May-25-2016>. I might have overlooked something… but,I (and the PC manager of my department) have no clue. Any advise is welcome…

Chie

Hi Chie,

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you were talking about the MCR version.
I re-compile Brainstorm irregularly, this is why the compiled version is usually a bit older than the script version.
I compiled a new version this morning, you can download the updated package and try again.

Francois

Dear Francois,

No. problem. It’s working now.
Thank you for the update.

Chie