Units and Values in Scouts activation plots when using the Power function

Dear Brainstorm team,

First - thanks for this very well structured and easy to use analysis tool - It’s actually fun to use.

I have a question regarding scouts activation plots - After performing source reconstruction using unconstrained sLORETA if I choose to view to scouts activation using the power function: the resulting graph displays the activation in pA.m : which are the units for current dipole and not power. Moreover, if I import the actual graph to Matlab the underlying values are in the range of 10^-20 to 10^-18 and definitely not anywhere similar to the shown 1-3 pA.m as seen in the graph generated by Brainstorm.

I hope the above was clear…

Danny

Hi Danny,

The sLORETA values are handled in a special way in Brainstorm, as they don’t correspond to any physical units.
By default, a source value that is below 1e-8 is considered to be in pA.m (1e-12 Am).

If it was calculated with the sLORETA option, this default should be ignored.
This was done properly for the source maps, but not for the scouts time series.

I fixed it, the update is online. Now you should see the real sLORETA values for the scouts traces (~1e-10, or 1e-20 for the “power” option).
Note the “power” here means: sum of the squares. I’m not sure this is ever a good way to group multiple source values into one.
I haven’t tested my modification extensively, so I apologize in advance for any new bug that my modification caused.

Cheers,
Francois

Hello, Francois!
I am new to sLORETA. I've it for auditory ERP source reconstruction. But i want to understand why DSPM and sLORETA have different scale, why sLORETA time-course values are so low: ~1e-10?
Best wishes,
Kirill

These are different statistics computed based on the minimum norm maps.
For details on these measures, please refer to the tutorials and the reference articles:
https://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Tutorials/SourceEstimation#Source_estimation_options_.5BTODO.5D
https://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Tutorials/SourceEstimation#Additional_documentation

@Sylvain @John_Mosher Additional comments?