Using the CENA plug-in

Hi everyone

I see a couple of people have previously posted about the CENA plug-in not working and were offered the 'fix' by the CENA lab. (I believe this has been incorporated into Brainstorm now anyway.) I've been in touch with CENA again and they think that the problem is due to to changes to MATLAB since the plug-in was first devised. I'm wondering whether anyone has been able to get the plug-in to run in Brainstorm, maybe by modifying the script or something. If so, would you be prepared to share your solution? I would be really grateful if someone can help!

With regards

Val

Hi Val,

The code and support for this plugin is provided by the CENA developers.

@Cacioppo @robinweiss @sgbalogh @scacioppo @georgemonteleone?
Can you please troubleshoot from the forum instead of by email, so other users can track the current availability status?

Cheers
François

Hello, Val and Francois. We apologize for the ongoing installation bugs in CENA. We have gone through a few different iterations of our development team since the initial release, and we're planning to bring in a dedicated developer on the project soon who is best suited to properly fixing issues in the code, tracking changes, versioning, and providing consistent updates. As I am not a software developer myself, I'm afraid I'm limited in my own expertise on all of this, but I'll try to help as best as I can in the meantime.

As far as these failed installs, I have been addressing this by sharing the source tarfile that was failing to download properly from the buggy CENA install function.

Please contact me directly to request the tarfile, as CENA is distributed by request.
georgem@uchicago.edu

Here are the instructions that should work for manual install:

1. Unpack the tarfile that contains the processes for CENA. You should be able to use a utility like WinZip on Windows; the Mac finder should unpack it directly, or you can use tar -xf [tarfile] from the command line.

2. The contents of the tarfile should be placed in the brainstorm process directory appropriate to your OS:

(on Mac) /Users/[your username]/.brainstorm/process
(on Windows) C:\Users[your username].brainstorm\process
(on Linux) /home/[your username]/.brainstorm/process

nb: .brainstorm is likely to be a hidden directory on your system, so you may have to "show hidden" or navigate through a utility where you can enter the path directly.

1. Restart Matlab and Brainstorm, and the CENA processes should appear in the process selection menu of the pipeline editor.

Please note that I personally have not debugged this process on Windows, but I have implemented it on Linux and Mac platforms. I cannot guarantee it will work with the Matlab Runtime Compiler in lieu of a full version of Matlab.

Thanks for detailed updates.

I cannot guarantee it will work with the Matlab Runtime Compiler in lieu of a full version of Matlab

This I can guarantee it won't work.
To have something running in the compiled version of Brainstorm, it has to be compiled at the same time. The compiled programs cannot execute additional .m scripts.

Hi George

Thanks for the detailed instructions and the new tarfile.

However, I don't have a 'process' directory in my .brainstorm folder. I do have the pathway brainstorm3 > toolbox > process > functions; should the CENA files go somewhere in there? Most of the existing brainstorm process files are in the 'functions' folder and a few are in the 'process' folder.

Does the process_cena_pub_src folder go in the same place? And as a complete folder, or should the contents be extracted first?

I haven't experimented, in case I make a hash of it :slight_smile: So your help or Francois's would be most welcome!

With Regards

Val

This one should be created automatically when starting Brainstorm...
What do you see in this .brainstorm folder?
What you get if you execute "bst_get('UserProcessDir')" from the Matlab command window (while Brainstorm is open)?

I do have the pathway brainstorm3 > toolbox > process > functions; should the CENA files go somewhere in there? Most of the existing brainstorm process files are in the 'functions' folder and a few are in the 'process' folder.

Don't add anything to this folder, or it would go away at the next Brainstorm update.

Does the process_cena_pub_src folder go in the same place? And as a complete folder, or should the contents be extracted first?

This I don't know.
@georgemonteleone ?

Hi, Val. You can try creating the process directory in your [home]/.brainstorm path. This should be created when you try to run CENA installer initially, but it seems it's failing to do so.

Then try placing the unpacked contents of the tarfile there (including process_cena_pub_src as an intact directory with the scripts it contains.) Then restart Matlab and Brainstorm and see if the CENA tools appear in your pipeline editor in Brainstorm.

I've attached a screenshot of an example install path for reference. Let me know if this works.

Ah! Thanks, Francois. Executing "bst_get('UserProcessDir')" indicated a .brainstorm folder on my C-drive that holds all the relevant folders. Whereas all other Brainstorm folders, including the false .brainstorm, are on the D-drive.

I wonder if this situation arose because I started out using a Matlab runtime compiler and then changed to the full Matlab platform? I have no idea. But I assume it's safe to delete the false folder now.

And thank you, George, for the very helpful screenshot. Once I've set up everything and tried CENA, I'll let you know how it goes.

I appreciate the time and attention you both have given to this.

Regards

Val

Hi George & Francois

I placed the CENA files as shown by George & restarted Matlab & Brainstorm. Unfortunately, I now get the following messages on start-up:

BST> Starting Brainstorm:
BST> =================================
BST> Version: 26-Aug-2019
BST> Compiling main interface files...
BST> Emptying temporary directory...
BST> Deleting old process reports...
BST> Loading configuration file...
BST> Checking internet connectivity... ok
BST> Update available online: 12-Sep-2019
BST> Initializing user interface...
BST> Starting OpenGL engine... hardware
BST> Reading plugins folder...

*** WARNING: In function: process_cena_pub_src_bootstrap.m at line 9
*** The process API changed, due to modifications in Matlab 2016b.
*** Replace "macro_methodcall;" with "eval(macro_method);"
*** at the beginning of all your Brainstorm functions.

BST> Invalid plug-in function: "process_cena_pub_src_bootstrap.m"

*** WARNING: In function: process_cena_pub_src_makediff.m at line 9

BST> Invalid plug-in function: "process_cena_pub_src_makediff.m"

*** WARNING: In function: process_cena_pub_src_multiple.m at line 9

BST> Invalid plug-in function: "process_cena_pub_src_multiple.m"

*** WARNING: In function: process_cena_pub_src_single.m at line 9

BST> Invalid plug-in function: "process_cena_pub_src_single.m"
BST> Loading current protocol...
BST> =================================

The 'process_cena_pub_src' folder and its contents appeared greyed out in the Current Folder panel of Matlab, and CENA does not appear as an option in the pipeline editor.

Any ideas about this?

Best regards

Val

Matlab changed abruptly some specifications in 2016b without any anticipation, and it caused all our process functions to stop working. We had to modify our plug-in API because of this.
The CENA processes haven't been updated to adapt to these changes apparently. It probably means that no one tried to use them with any recent version of Matlab.

@ValR
You could try editing all the process functions according to what the error message suggests.

@georgemonteleone
If this is really not working, you should probably add a warning at the top of your tutorial page (https://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Tutorials/MicrostatesCena), saying that the software is currently not available.
I will remove the CENA processes temporarily from the Brainstorm distribution, please let me know when this is back to a working state.

@georgemonteleone

Hi George

Is it possible to say when - or even if - the plug-in will be updated? Just a ball-park figure would be really helpful! I was intending to conduct an ERP microstates analysis for my PhD, but I'll need to do a different study if CENA is not likely to be updated in the near future.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Val

Maybe there are some things you could do with Cartool, if it is done available in Brainstorm.

@ValR we are planning to get a developer on the project as soon as possible, but until we have that underway we won't be able to provide a definitive timeline. My goal is to have CENA's automated update / install functionality back to normal before the end of October -- hopefully we can get there.

Maybe your issue has to do with Runtime, or maybe it's Windows specific. I just made some minor updates to our functions and did the manual process folder install from scratch on my end and it works (however, I'm on Linux, not Windows.)

Let's try something more to see if we can fix your issues:

1. See attached zip file. I simply updated these scripts to remove the "macro_methodcall" error. This should not have been breaking the functions, but at the very least it should remove that warning.
  2. Clear the old contents of your [home]/.brainstorm/process folder.
  3. Unzip this file. Put the contents of CENA-pub-latest_19-09-18 into the above listed process folder.
  4. Start Matlab and brainstorm. Check for warnings and errors on startup. If you get any errors, take a screenshot and post it here.
  5. In the event that everything functions, in order to run CENA, you need to have a file in the "files to process" window in Brainstorm -- otherwise the Microstates menu will be grayed out. See attached screenshot for an example of proper functionality.

If you run into more problems, post a screenshot of your folder structure and contents of the [home]/.brainstorm/process folder here so I can help troubleshoot, along with any relevant screenshots from the Brainstorm interface, process menu, etc.

CENA-pub-latest_19-09-18.zip (298.9 KB)

Hi George

You seem to have sorted it - well done and thank you very much!

All I have to do now is work out how to use it . . . !!

Regards

Val

Hi @georgemonteleone, I just wanted to get an update and see where I can download the latest version of CENA for microstate analysis. Is the zip file you posted above ready to use? And are there any tutorials or README files to help understand what functions I would need to call?
Thanks!
Amna

Hello, Amna. It looks like we have solved the problem on the back end and we're almost ready to host the CENA updater via Brainstorm again. Hoping to have it ready by the end of the month.

You can refer to the zip file and instructions in my earlier post if you want to try a manual install.

Best,
George

Hi George,
Is the one in the backend the same as the zip file as long as I can do the manual install?
Thanks!
Amna

Yes, the problem we are fixing only has to do with the installer. The manual install will provide the same toolkit.

1 Like

Hi @@georgemonteleone I am wondering when the page with the CENA plugin for microstate analysis will be updated: https://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Tutorials/MicrostatesCena#CENA_functions
It says here that there are some updates going on with it?
Amna