Temporal resolution of EEG

Dear community:

I am interested in an experiment I conducted. I wonder if I could technically see beyond 2ms time resolution obtained for sLORETA. I understand EEG allows for 1 ms time resolution. May be LORETA allows only for 2ms in EEG or may be the activity makes no sense for less than 2ms for this EEG (Natus). Anyways I just wanted to ask.

I also tried to import 1 second of the experiment EEG as several blocks of 1 ms but it just let me 100ms blocks. May be this is also limited to technology of nowadays.

Thank you for all the help in advance!!

The time resolution of any source mapping approach matches that of the original sensor data. So, if your data are collected at, for example, 1kHz, you’ll get source maps every millisecond.

2 Likes

when you extract epoches, events etc, might sound like a simple issue, but I recommend to be careful with the downsampling rate of your signal, in extracting the epoches might interfere with your work. Also if you do not downsample to 200 Hz or 500 Hz, you would get the same output that you feeded the model. to get 1ms rez from 2ms input, it sounds impossible for me, unless with python you add between each time point, an extra average time point with a simple code to get 1KHz or higher rez. I hope this helps.

1 Like

it is 512Hz.

May be this could be a good solution. But I prefer not to make up data sticking to reality.