About networks and source connectivity

Hello to all of you!
:D!
I was reading Pascual-Marqui's (2007) article on Coherence, in one part he states that it is not possible to talk about connectivity using metrics in sensor space since one cannot assume a direct relationship with cortical activity. This is congruent with what is mentioned in the Brainstorm tutorials: connectivity makes sense only at source level.
However, as far as I remember there is a source connectivity issue that remains unresolved:

I think there is no agreement on whether the connectivity should be calculated first and then apply the scout or the other way around, in addition to the most representative metric (average, ICA, median...) and which generates less noise.

I want to be able to calculate true brain connectivity using EEG, so what do you recommend?
Thanks in advance!

ps: I seem to remember that @Francois once said that calculating connectivity at the source level does not always provide more information than at the sensor level.
:smile:

it was just a kind of poll or opinion box :smile:

any suggestions about the best way to compute source connectivity?

:hugs:

There is presently no standard way to infer connectivity from electrophysiological time series, only different measures that reflect different possible mechanisms for regional interactions. So the method needs to be decided depending on your study hypotheses. You may want to consult this recent review on the question to help orient your choice.

1 Like

I really appreciate your response
:slight_smile: