Combine events what is this all about?

Hi all,
There must be something with my brain, but I don't understand a thing of what is explained here in the Brainstorm interface:

I understand I have three markers A, B and C, and I want to create four conditions. I'll try to get the first two ones for simplicity:
A_AB when A is followed by B
A_AC when A is followed by C

Here I suppose I want a new marker called A_AB when A is followed by B, and A_AC when A is followed by C. I'm not sure why that A_ is prepended to the condition name.

Now what does the following line mean?
A_AB, B_AB, A, B

Is this one line that will create the two conditions? What does the order mean? why A and B alone at the end of the line?
I just don't understand how that line works.

Thanks for any explanation, or pointing me to the right tutorial.

Best,
Max

We certainly can improve the explanations, any suggestions are more than welcome

The first and second arguments indicate where the new event will be placed. For example, starting with two types of events A and B:

"A_AB, B_AB, A, B" can be explained as: using the events A and B (3rd and 4rd inputs), create a simple event called A_AB (1st input) at the position A every time A is follow by B. Also, create a simple event called B_AB (2nd input) at the position B every time A is follow by B.

The ignore option just avoid creating the events A_AB or B_AB
The extend option, create only one extended event from point A to point B

1 Like

Alright, here's my situation:
"Old" or "New" stimuli are followed by "Old" or "New" responses.
Markers are named as follows and occur at stimulus and response times:
StimOld and StimNew
RespOld and RespNew

I want to create markers that will classify trials like this:
If StimOld is followed by RespOld, add a marker called Hit at the time of RespOld
If StimOld is followed by RespNew, add a marker called Miss at the time of RespNew
If StimNew is followed by RespOld, add a marker called FalseAlarm at the time of RespOld
If StimNew is followed by RespNew, add a marker called CorrectReject at the time of RespNew

What I understood from your explanation is the following:
With this command, I focus on markers A and B and add two new markers whenever B follows A:
NewMarkerAddedAtTimeA, NewMarkerAddedAtTimeB, A, B

I just tried this:

ignore, CR, StimNew, RespNew
ignore, Hit, StimOld, RespOld
ignore, FA, StimNew, RespOld
ignore, Miss, StimOld, RespNew

And it worked!
Thanks!!
(I thought it didn't work at first because my timeout was too short, that's why I wrote this long answer :smile:)

2 Likes