Connectivity Error after updates

Hi
I cannot open connectivity data on the cortical surface after updates. I am currently using latest version of brainstorm and Matlab 2023a. Here is my connectivity workflow;

1. MRI segmentation using CAT12
  2. Import Elekta-Neuromag .fif: Resting-state MEG data with eyes closed
  3. Co-registration between individual MRI and helmet position
  4. Artifact cleaning using independent-component analysis
  5. Manual artifact cleaning
  6. Import in database (2 seconds / 150 trials)
  7. Compute head model (Cortical surface)
  8. Compute noise (identity matrix) and data covariance
  9. Compute sources (2018) using LCMV beamformer
  10. Dragg the source file into process space
  11. Compute envelope correlation 1*N (2023)
    Time window: 0 – 2 s
    Select scouts: Desikan-Killiany (postcentral L)
    Scout function: Before (Mean)
    Connectivity Metric: Envelop correlation (orthogonalized)
    TF decomposition: Hilbert transform
    Time resolution: None

Slide1

After calculation, I try to display the connectivity data on the cortical surface, but I received the following error messages (please see figures). On the other hand, I could display the resting-state MEG data on the cortical surface. Additionally, I was able to perform this analysis without any trouble some months ago. I would appreciate if you could give me any solutions.

Slide3

@Ryoki19920525, this was a bug was introduced as after the update as information about the source (seed) scout is saved in the file in the atlas field of the connectivity file. It is now fixed at commit 6a68473

Please update your Brainstorm instance to get the fix

Thank you so much!
It worked!

Best regards,
Ryoki

After fixing the bag, another issue arose. While I successfully completed the estimation without any problems, I encountered an error when attempting to project sources to the default anatomy (ICBM 152: cortex_15002V). It's worth noting that I had performed this analysis without any issues a few months ago. Is this also a bug? I would greatly appreciate any solutions you can provide.

Best regards,
Ryoki

Slide2

Hi Ryoki, yes this issue had the same origin. Solved at commit 3b00455

Thank you for reporting these issues.
Update your Brainstorm instance to get the fix.

Hi Raymundo. Cassani,

Thank you so much. It worked!

Best regards,
Ryoki Sasaki

Hello Raymundo Cassani,

I apologize for the numerous questions. Following the bug fix, I exported the connectivity data to SPM12 using the "Export to SPM12 (surface)" function. However, when I attempted a regression analysis between the data (n = 42; vertices = 15,002, frequency = alpha band) and performance data (n = 42), an error occurred within SPM12.

Upon further investigation, I examined the original GII file exported from Brainstorm. Prior to the update, the Dimθ in the file was consistently "15002" across subjects (please refer to slide 1). However, after the update, I noticed that Dimθ was not consistent between subjects (please see slide 2). I suspect that this inconsistency is contributing to the estimation error in SPM12.

It's also worth noting that this error only occurred when using new data (i.e., after the update), not with the old data. I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide me with any potential solutions to this issue.

Best regards,
Ryoki

This is now corrected in commit 53824c6

Indeed, it has the same origin the Atlas field now added to connectivity files. We had checked and fixed other potential places for bugs to this addition.

Hello Raymundo. Cassani,

Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Ryoki

Hello Raymundo. Cassani,

I'm attempting to utilize the corrected imaginary PLV instead of AEC (in the "process plv1" step), but I encountered the same issues when trying to open the surface file and project sources.

I would like to express my thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Ryoki Sasaki

Hi Ryoki,

Coherence and phase metrics for 1 x nSources were not fully implemented when Hilbert transform and (Morlet) wavelet were used. All this metrics are now supported, commit d4186fc.

Update your Brainstorm instance and recompute PLV

Hi Raymundo. Cassani,

Thank you so much. It worked!

Best regards,
Ryoki Sasaki

Hello Raymundo. Cassani,

I believe I've encountered a similar bug while attempting to import a source map from SPM.

I would like to express my thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Ryoki Sasaki

The issue seems to be the content of the SPM file.

Was this file created by Brainstorm before the bugfixes in this post?
Could you shared the SPM that causes the error?

Hi Raymundo and Cassani,

I apologize for the trouble. The SPM files (n = 51) were generated using the latest version of Brainstorm (Fig. 1). Following that, I conducted a regression analysis comparing these files with behavioral data. Subsequently, I attempted to import the files (Fig. 2), including F- and P-values, into Brainstorm. However, I later realized that I had mistakenly selected the wrong file format (Fig. 3). I have rectified the issue, and everything is now functioning correctly.

Thank you so much as always.

Best regards,
Ryoki

Fig1.

Fig2.

Fig3.

1 Like