Dipole scanning method, Source localization technique, reference

Hello,

I would like to ask a question regarding any literature reference of the dipole scanning method described in the Brainstorm website.

In particular, I have used the dipole scanning method described here "https://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Tutorials/TutDipScan" in the website and I would like to find a reference describing this method.

Could you please provide me with any appropriate references form the literature?

Thank you so much,
Georgios

@John_Mosher @Sylvain
Can you please provide references for this method?
Not necessarily for the dipole scanning (I don't think this was published), but at least for the "Dipole modeling" option. The links are missing in the Source estimation tutorial (https://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Tutorials/SourceEstimation#Source_estimation_options)
Thanks

@Georgios
The dipole scanning basically selects the maximum of the "dipole modeling" maps.
To see the formula used for the various properties of the dipole, you can refer directly to the comments in the code:

Thank you so much Francois for the detailed reply and for trying to figure this out!
It would be great if we could have these references as you mentioned above.

Best,
Georgios

Dear Georgios and Francois, have you found the references? In two articles where they use this method by Tamilia et al. and Alhilani et al there is reference to Hamalainen et al., 1993. Is that correct?

Hi Folks:

The dipole scanning approach basically sifts through a predefined 3D grid and evaluates the respective goodness of fit of a dipole located at each grid point sequentially, for every time point. It is a straightforward procedure that computes a least-squares fit between the sensor data at each time point and the forward field (from the head model) of the dipole at each time point.
The other method, a non-linear dipole fitting method, is that from FieldTrip and does rely on a precomputed grid: the location of the dipole is fitted on the X-Y-Z continuum.
I hope this helps.