Import Data From EEGLAB

Dear All,

Maybe this question is too dumb, so I didn't found anyone facing this issue in this forum.

After import all the .set files to Brainstorm (3 in total). All the recordings are already epoched, and I cannot seem to switch from epoch to continuous. If I cannot switch from epoch to continuous, a lot of operation will not be possible. (as shown in the image, it is 29 epochs of around 4.1s each)

Further more, how shall I import the events as in the tutorial the events are auto-imported, but here the event is empty.

Looking forward to your insightful ideas.

Thanks and Regards
Lingjie

1 Like

Dear Lingjie,

I’m sorry, importing data that has already been pre-processed outside of Brainstorm is not well documented.
The menu “Review raw recordings” is recommended only when processing continuous “raw” recordings, that need to be reviewed, filtered, cleaned and epoched.

Your files are already processed and epoched, therefore you can already import the .set files using the menu “Import MEG/EEG”.
This will save the epochs as separate files in the database, and you will have access to different processes for them.

Cheers,
Francois

2 Likes

Hi, François,

Thanks for the fast response.

I have tried to use the "raw" data from brainvision recorder, but seems it is not MR corrected though, so the data looks very noisy. I have also searched, but there doesn't seem to have an option to run MR correction on brainstorm?

The good part is that all the events are auto-imported.

Thanks again,
Lingjie

Hi, François,

I tried to import the step before epoching, and it worked:)

So the MR correction in brainstorm is just a side question lel.

Thanks for the helps and have a nice day.

Regards
Lingjie

Hi Lingjie,

No, we haven’t implemented any MR-artifact correction in Brainstorm yet.
What do you use for this?

If this is code from EEGLAB, there is a chance we could easily add it to Brainstorm.
Would you be interested in contributing to this integration, and test the Brainstorm process after?
(if you are passionate about this question, it would be amazing to have a short online tutorial explaining how to use the process with an example dataset :))

Cheers,
Francois

Hi,

I have a somehow related question about EEGLAB import function: I want to create a script in order to import several .set files.

I used to manually import the files by rigth clicking on one subject > Import MEG/EEG then select the .set file. Then “Conditions selection” window pops up in which I select a parameter (left column) to import. Then a “Import EEG-EEGLAB file” pops up, in which I check “Get all epochs” and “Create separate folder for each event type”. This results in the importation of one subject trials in subfolders corresponding to conditions (fantastic! that is what I wanted)

Now I do have a series of subjects to process and would like to script the import operation. So I looked into the in the pipeline editor to find the equivalent operation. I found the “Import MEG/EEG : Exisiting epochs”. I see a “EEGLAB event type” field in which I specify the name of the events that I want to import (as in the “Condition selection”). The result is that regardless of the EEGLAB event type, it loads ALL of the trials and store them under the same trial list (it does not separate the different conditions)

Am I doing anything wrong? Would you please tell me how could I script this import operation?

Cheers,

AnneSo

Hi AnneSo

This is because you do not enter what the program expects in the field “EEGLAB event types”.
You are supposed to put here the parameters you want to create the condition (in your example file: “bini” for instance), instead of the pair parameter+value (“bini_2, bini_3”).
(I added a comment in the process options to make this clearer - let me know if you think I should change the wording)

It will import all the epochs, you cannot filter them at this level.
But you can use the selection processes in the “File” category to select or delete the files by condition name (=parameter+value).

Francois

Dear AnneSo
I am a Brainstorn newbie, and I am also trying to import my data from EEGLAB to Brainstrom. Could you share your script to me, which would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Shelton

The script discussed here is generated automatically by Brainstorm, using the menu "Generate .m script". I recommend you generate your own script instead of trying to reuse someone else's, which might be outdated.
https://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Tutorials/Scripting#Starting_a_new_script

If you haven't done it yet, I recommend you start by following the introduction tutorials (section "Get started"), and the EEG/Epilepsy tutorial for additional information about EEG:
https://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Tutorials
https://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Tutorials/Epilepsy

Thanks for your kind reminder! I have tried to generate my own script by Brainstorm, which is very convenient to use.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Atlas for 1 year old infants