Importing ANT EEProbe .avr files

Greetings, fellow Brainstorm users. New user here, desperately trying to find the best way to get (numerical) data from my (ERP) data (from ASA, ANT Neuro).

First: is there a way for Brainstorm to import ANT Neuro EEProbe (not BESA) .avr files?

All pre-processing and processing is done and I have .avr files for every trial and condition per participant/group. However, ASA does not have a direct way to export the numerical measures from these waveforms (in particular, area amplitude, 50% fractional area latency of several timeframes). Brainstorm was recommended to me, but I cannot find how to get these .avr files into it.

Alternatively, as Brainstorm has direct support for ANT EEProbe .cnt files, I have also tried importing these, but the events appear to be read either from the .cnt directly or from the associated .trg file, not the associated .evt file that contains the proper conditioning/labelling.

In a nutshell, I just really need to easiest/quickest way to get the numerical measures from my ERP data. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hello,

For reading the .cnt files, we use the EEGLAB plugin distributed directly by ANT:
http://download.ant-neuro.com/matlab/
The ANT release notes mention the following:

Update adds support for .evt file format. At the same time the dialog for pop_loadeep no longer asks for confirmation to load .trg files. This is done automatically. When a .cnt file is read, the importer checks for an accompanying .evt file. If found, its contents are loaded. If not, it will try the same for an accompanying .trg file. If that also fails, the embedded triggers in the .cnt are tried.

Reading these release notes, I realized that the .avr files are supposed to be supported by this plugin as well, but no one ever asked me to add it in Brainstorm. It might be very easy to add the support for these files, but I don't have any data in this format.
Could you send me an example file?
(upload it somewhere and post the download link here)

Thanks
Francois

Thanks for responding, Francois. Much appreciated. I'd come across that explanation, hence wondering why the .evt file was being ignored. If not added to Brainstorm, though, that explains it!

Please find a zip file containing an example .cnt file with associated .evt, .trg, and .sen files here.

Is there any possibility of also adding ANT/eeprobe .avr support? I have already gone through a lot of work and headaches to export all trials/conditions from ASA to individual .avr ERP files (not that the headaches were your fault!), so it would be very welcome for this project and going forward.

Please find a zip file containing an example .cnt file with associated .evt, .trg, and .sen files here.

This file is read correctly by Brainstorm.
If there is anything you don't like about the way it reads the events, you should report it to ANT directly. For reading these .cnt files, we are using compiled mex-files distributed from their website (in folder brainstorm3/external/eeprobe) and we have no control over what is happening in these functions.

Is there any possibility of also adding ANT/eeprobe .avr support? I have already gone through a lot of work and headaches to export all trials/conditions from ASA to individual .avr ERP files (not that the headaches were your fault!), so it would be very welcome for this project and going forward.

Maybe this is easy to do, but I need an example file...

Hmm... I'm glad to hear that for the sake of Brainstorm, but it doesn't appear to be taking the .evt file into account here (which has different conditioning/labelling than the original .trg file). If there's anything else you can tell me from your side, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll get in touch with ANT about it though. Thanks.

Sure: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArLRBeNcCRpyprRnoO4mb9nJ64FRJw?e=qPS9TC

Thanks again!

Unfortunately we have no control at all over this. We do not have any information about this file format and rely completely on the ANT mex-files. Only the ANT support will be able to help you with this.
Here is the only information about this file format we have access to in Brainstorm:
https://github.com/brainstorm-tools/brainstorm3/blob/master/external/eeprobe/eepv4_read.m#L3

Maybe this is easy to do, but I need an example file...

Thanks.
I simply added the possibility to use the same "ANT EEProbe" file format for the .avr files, and it seems to work:
https://github.com/brainstorm-tools/brainstorm3/commit/2654e4d93396c7181696492b04d686c4267028fc

Please update Brainstorm, try on some meaningful data and let me know if you observe anything weird.

Will do! Thank you so much! :smiley: