Importing source from fieldtrip with FEM as headmodel

Hi everyone, I have reconstructed sources with fieltrip because we wanted to use FEM for our headmodel, and eLoreta as invert solution. So in this moment I have 36 sources that I would like to import in brainstorm.
I have two issues:
Does it make sense to import directly the activation grid without importing also the head model, but simply using the subject anatomy? If I import a subject anatomy segmented in five layers in brainstorm, as the one used in the FEM, and then I import the activation grid, I suppose it should be ok, right?
If the answer it is not, do you think it could be possible to import FEM headmodel obtained from fieldtrip and then to import the activation grid?
Thanks

I don't think there is any issue with importing final source maps computed with FieldTrip.

If you manage to convert the FieldTrip structures back into Brainstorm structures and save them in the database, you should be able to display them. You wouldn't even need to import all the layers you used to compute your model: maybe just the MRI would be enough for volume results, but you would need the cortex for surface-based reconstructions.

You can check the code of process_ft_sourceanalysis.m for help with these conversions of structures.
https://github.com/brainstorm-tools/brainstorm3/blob/master/toolbox/process/functions/process_ft_sourceanalysis.m#L214

Another solution would be to fix the Brainstorm processes "Sources > FieldTrip: ft_sourceanalysis" and "FieldTrip: process_ft_prepare_leadfield" so that they compute what you need.

Btw, FEM will be available in the next few months in Brainstorm through DUNEuro (the heir of simbio):

1 Like

Oh wow, that's an interestings news!
thanks for your suggestions