My protocol can't be loaded

HI!

I have updated my Brainstorm just now and it doesn't show my data anymore.
the protocol exists in the db. but it is not shown on Brainstorm window. I can see just the name only with (subjects) and matlab sends messages like: TF analysis is missing, average is missing and so on.
and says reload the protocol but nothing changes by reloading.

what should I do?

Best
Shadi

Hello,

How old was this protocol?
And how old was your previous version of Brainstorm?
Was it fully working just before your updated Brainstorm?
Are you using the compiled version, or are you running the program from Matlab?
Please copy-paste all the messages you get when trying to load the protocol.

Do you have a backup of the entire protocol somewhere?
If you do, make a copy of it try to load it as a new protocol (menu File > Load protocol > Load from folder).
Otherwise, it's a good time to set up a daily or weekly backup of your database, as you would do for any type of data.

One other thing that you could try is to reset Brainstorm. In your Matlab command window, type "brainstorm reset", or in the Brainstorm preferences click on the button "Reset".

If nothing helps, I may not be able to help much without having the full protocol in hand. How big is it? Would it be doable for your to zip the entire protocol folder, unpload it somewhere and post a link for me to download it?

Hi Francois

and thanks for responding.

• the protocol is started at least 3 years ago and was modified almost 6 months ago for the last time.
  • I'm not sure about the version of my last brainstorm but I think it was updated about 8 months ago.
  • yes it was working before updating
  • I'm running in Matlab
  • when I start brainstorm I receive these messages:
    Reading plugins folder...
    BST> Loading current protocol...
    DB_FIX> Missing subject: "SPN"...
    DB_FIX> Missing subject: "averages"...
    DB_FIX> There were errors in protocol "new 30". You should reload the database...
    BST> =================================

DB_FIX> Missing subject: "SPN"...
DB_FIX> Missing subject: "averages"...
DB_FIX> There were errors in protocol "new 30". You should reload the database...

• I did the reset of brainstorm but it didn't change.
  • the protocol is too big! almost 100 G.

do you think if I go back to the last version I can solve the problem?

Best
Shadi

The message "DB_FIX> Missing subject" indicate that you have some subjects that are present in the "data" folder that are not present in the "anat" folder of your protocol. Or that some files were deleted or moved manually outside of Brainstorm.

Don't you have a backup of this database?
If you do, I recommend you go back to a version before these manual modifications.

You can try a few more things to fix your database (but make a copy of it before!):

1. Detach you protocol from your database (File > Delete protocol > Only detach from database)
  2. Delete all the folders that are present in the "data" folder that are not in the "anat" folder (except with all the folders starting with @, do not touch any of these)
  3. Delete the file data/protocol.mat
  4. Attach again your protocol to your database (File > Load protocol > Load from folder - select the protocol button with the first (...) button at the top)

do you think if I go back to the last version I can solve the problem?

I don't think this would help. Since there were some database updates recently, it might cause even more confusion...
Note that it is not necessarily the update itself that caused the problem, but maybe the reloading of the database that was done after the update. Brainstorm became aware at that moment that the database is incomplete (files of the database that were deleted or moved).

Dear Francois

many many thanks for the solution!
it worked and my data base is loaded but with some warnings. I will go through it and let you know if there was any problem with my data.

Best
Shadi