OpenMEEG error #-1073741515

Hi,
Thanks to everyone posting here, so far I have been able to find answers to my questions about brainstorm from the tutorials and these forum posts. But now I faced an error for which apparently there is no prior post.
I want to use the BEM model provided by OpenMEEG (for EEG data).
(I already did my analysis for the same set of data using 3-shell model successfully).
By following the tutorial on BEM, I downloaded OpenMEEG, but when I try to run it from brainstorm, it gives me error #1073741515, and exits.

I am using windows 7, 64 bit and I am using default anatomy (Colin) for the surfaces.
Here’s more details from MATLAB screen:

** Error: OpenMEEG error #-1073741515:

Warning: Restore check for os_meg
> In panel_headmodel>ComputeHeadModel at 608
In panel_headmodel>@(h,ev)ComputeHeadModel() at 118

I appreciate your help,
Tahereh

hi,

if you have not already done it, you should install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64) from : http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14632

hope this will fix the pb.

Cheers,
Alex

[QUOTE=Alexandre;3095]hi,

if you have not already done it, you should install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64) from : http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14632

hope this will fix the pb.

Cheers,
Alex[/QUOTE]

Hi Alex,
Thank you for the very quick reply. Yes, that was the problem. It’s now working.
Thanks,
Tahereh

Hi Alex,
My problem is totally the same with Tahereh, except my system is window 7, while 32 bit, how to deal with that error?
Looking forward for the answer,
Thanks,
Rongua

Hello,
Have you tried installing the “Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package” for win32?
Francois

Thanks for reply,
I installed the “Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package” and restrart my computer, unfortunately, it can’t work . so is there any other things I have to pay attention to ?

Looking forward.

This is a question for the OpenMEEG developers.
Alexandre already posted on this thread, he should get back to you.

To increase your chances of response, you can also post a message on the OpenMEEG mailing list:
http://www-sop.inria.fr/athena/software/OpenMEEG/index.php?page=support

I'll see what I can do to have binaries for windows 7.

In the mean time you can try building the package from source if you've done this before:

https://github.com/openmeeg/openmeeg/releases

to download last released source code.

You'll need to install a trial version of Intel MKL.

I'll keep you posted when I find the time to take a look at this over the next few weeks.

Alex

Dear brainstorm team,
Dear Francois,

I have the same problem. Using windows 8, 64bit. The error message in matlab is:

** Error: OpenMEEG call: om_assemble -DSM
** “C:\Users
franke.brainstorm mp\openmeeg.geom”
franke.brainstorm mp\openmeeg.cond”
franke.brainstorm mp\openmeeg_dipoles.txt”
franke.brainstorm mp\openmeeg_dsm.bin”
** OpenMEEG error #-1073741515:

I use a stand alone (compiled) brainstorm version sometimes and in this case openMeeg runs. Because the two brainstorm versions use the same brainstorm folders, I can continue to work with the newest matlab version. But switching between two brainstorm versions is not a good solution.

I hope it can be solved.

Yours
Norbert

Hi Norbert,

Because the two brainstorm versions use the same brainstorm folders, I can continue to work with the newest matlab version. But switching between two brainstorm versions is not a good solution.

First of all, never work with two different versions of Brainstorm, it could have a quite intense destructive power over your database.
But you can work with one unique version of Brainstorm and alternate between the compiled version (brainstorm3/bin/R2012b/brainstorm.bat) and the script version (brainstorm3/brainstorm.m, any matlab version). This is totally compatible, it's approximately the same version of the software.

I use a stand alone (compiled) brainstorm version sometimes and in this case openMeeg runs.

Can you confirm that:
a) OpenMEEG works from the compiled version, but not from the script version?
b) You have at the same time two folders with OpenMEEG binaries: $HOME/.brainstorm/openmeeg/win32 and $HOME/.brainstorm/openmeeg/win64

This would indicate that you installed the 32bit version of Matlab on your Win64 computer, but the 64bit version of the MCR. So you run Matlab and your scripts in 32bit, but the compiled version runs in 64bits.
To check this: type "ver" in your Matlab command window, and check the 3rd line of the output:

• 32 bit: Java Version: Java 1.6.0_17-b04 with Sun Microsystems Inc. Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM mixed mode
  • 64 bit: Java Version: Java 1.6.0_17-b04 with Sun Microsystems Inc. Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM mixed mode

The problem could be indeed that Brainstorm is trying to run an inappropriate binary version of OpenMEEG.
From Matlab 32bit, Brainstorm gets the information it's running in 32bit, hence it downloads the 32bit version of OpenMEEG.
To fix this: just download a 64bit version of Matlab. All you work would benefit from that improvement.

Alex: Would OpenMEEG crash if you run a 32bit version of the binaries on a 64bit machine?
Or maybe it crashes just because it runs out of memory in the 32bit case and not in the 64bit case?

Francois

Dear Francois,

yes I can confirm a) and b) and it seems to be a confusion of 32bit and 64bit. Without knowing it I used a 32bit matlab version.

Do You think it is ok to do this ‘BEM openMEEG’ step with the compiled version and then continue with he script matlab version?

Norbert

Yes, it should be fine.

But you would greatly benefit for all your Matlab work to use the 64bit version.
If you have a Mathworks account, you can download and install it, then uninstall the 32bit version (or keep it, the two can coexist on your windows computer).

[QUOTE=Francois;5551]

Alex: Would OpenMEEG crash if you run a 32bit version of the binaries on a 64bit machine?
Or maybe it crashes just because it runs out of memory in the 32bit case and not in the 64bit case?

[/QUOTE]

it should work but indeed you might run into memory allocation errors.

Alex