Running frequency --> power spectrum density for theta current density on multiple subject for scouts from DKT atlas

I am trying to figure out how to calculate the theta current density for a group of study participants for two regions of interest. The regions have scouts in the DKT atlas, and I think I know how to move them into my own atlas, but I can't figure out how to run the power spectrum density for just those scouts. It always says no scouts selected when I try and toggle them on. I need to get the log power for those scouts in particular, not for the entire head. I am just using an EEG, which might complicate it a little.

Additionally, I am not entirely sure how to run the power spectrum density for multiple participants at once. I haven't started collecting data and want to make sure I know how to analyze it before I start the experiment. If I put all the links to the raw files into the files to process tab, will it run it for all of them and average it?

If someone could give me specific advice on how to do these things, or point me to which Brainstorm tutorial pages would have that information, and which section to find it in, that would be immensely helpful. Thank you!

If you have defined scouts with consistent labels for each participant, drag and drop their source files in the Process1 box at the bottom of the Brainstorm panel then:

• In the process window, choose "Frequency > Power spectrum density (Welch)".
  • Check the option "Use scouts" and make sure all the desired scouts are selected.
  • Adjust the other parameters according to your analysis requirements, such as the frequency range, window length, and overlap.
  • Click on the "Run" button to start the process.

Thank you!

When I go to add an atlas to the raw file link, the whole scout tab is grayed out and won't let me add anything. I have my atlas created as a .mat and the only place it isn't grayed out is my channel locations file and when I try importing it I receive this message: Number of vertices in the surface (1082) and the scout file (15002) do not match

I am not sure I follow your procedure, sorry.
Please post a few screenshots.

This is what I get when I try and upload my atlas

I should also probably ask this now instead of later, but I am going to run an ANOVA on JMP Pro comparing the theta current density of participants in different study groups. How do I export the data for each participant such that I have a number for each that I can put in Excel to use for the statistical analysis?

It looks like the cortical surface used for source mapping has only 1082 vertices. If you do not have access to the individual MRI of the participants, please sure you use a template provided by Brainstorm. However, if you wish to use the predefined templates provided, please do not downsample the cortical surface and keep the native resolution of about 15,000 vertices.

When I try and reupload the anatomy so I can set the correct number of vertices, I receive this error.

Do you have the individual MR data for the participant or will you be using one of Brainstorm's MR template -- looks like this would be the latter from the screenshot above.

One of Brainstorm's. I only have an EEG

It looks like the default anatomy folder is empty for some reason. Make sure you repopulate it by loading one of the templates available from Brainstorm using the contextual menus as shown in the following screen capture.

I think I've got it, thank you! The only other thing I need to figure out is whether there are any numbers for the log power that I can export to excel. And if there are, how do I export that?

1 Like

OK great. As for exporting data from Brainstorm, every file in the database can be exported /localized on the hard drive for external processing. Simply right click over the file's icon and go to File > Export to.. or > Show in File Explorer.