Save position file

Hello,

I have modified an already existing cap changing the names of the sensors and of course their positions.
My question is if there is a way to save this modification in order to import it to other protocols and raw files.
I saw that I can save the file, but which is the right format?

Thank you in advance.

If you modified the channel names in the positions you want to use for other files, you wouldn't be able to use the menu "Add EEG positions" to apply the edited positions to other files. Using that menu, the channels in the channel file and the positions in the position file are matched based on the channel name.

Therefore, if you want to apply directly your modified file to other files, you need to replace the channel file completely. You can do this by copy-pasting the file to the new folder using the Brainstorm database explorer (CTRL+C/CTRL+V, or equivalent menus in the popup menu > File), or using the function db_set_channel.m. If you replace the file using the file explorer of your operating system, you'd need to reload the Brainstorm protocol after.

However, this solution of replacing the channel file would work only if the number and order of the channels is exactly the same in the all the recordings. If the selection of channels in the various recordings is not the same, then you can't use this option.
In that case, you'd need to: export the modified channel file as a text file (e.g. format "EEG: ASCII: Name, XYZ"), edit the channel names in the new channel file, right-click on the new channel file > "Add EEG positions > Import from file".

For learning how to script with Brainstorm:
https://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Tutorials/Scripting

1 Like

Thank you for your response and your helping Francois.

Worked for me!