Unknown artifact removal

Hi all,
I'm doing some analyses on EEG data acquired with a 256 EGI hydrocel cap.
While preprocessing I came across these rythmic and focal artifacts :

Colleagues of mine believe these are impedance artifacts due to a lack of contact between the scalp and EEG electrodes at that location.

Regardless of there origin, do you believe these can be cleaned ? If so, how could I proceed using brainstorm ? I tried the "detect other artifacts" option which identified some of the bad segments but not all of them. These artifacts are crucial to remove because the following analyses include phase-based functional connectivity, thus they are likely to result in spurious connectivity.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Very nice day to all.

Joan

I recommend you run an SSP analysis over the entire recording. The artifact is so strong and stereotypical that it should be absorbed by the first SSP component, and should be considerably attenuated once you project the data away from it.

Hi Sylvain thanks for the answer,
I tried SSP on the whole signal but the artifact remains in the signal.
Here is the signal and SSP topographies and component time-series befor and after removing the first comp:
Before:

After :

Am I doing something wrong here or is it just not enough to get rid of it ?

Thanks a lot.

Joan

The PCA decomposition doesn't look like it captures well your artifact.
Try with ICA: https://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Tutorials/Epilepsy#Artifact_cleaning_with_ICA

1 Like

Hi François,
Thanks I'll try. I'll let you know if this works.
Best,

Joan

Hi François,

I tried ICA but this didn't give better results. Removing the first ICs doesn't get rid of it. Here are the topographies of the components:

Do you have any other idea?
Thanks again.

Best,

Joan

Why did you decide to remove components 1, 2 and 3?
These are clearly not related with your noise.
Why do you show only 15 components here?

You probably need to play a bit more with the ICA options here.
Look for help on the EEGLAB side (runica).