Where to find Surface atlas region code names?

Hello,

I’m working with some surface files generated via MRI segmentation with CAT12 in Brainstorm. The files, when opened in MATLAB, have associated cortical parcellations (Desikan-Killiany, Destrieux, etc.). I see one of the items within these scouts is “Region”, denoted by a 2-3 letter abbreviation which I am assuming relates to a general area/lobe of the cortex (e.g. LPF-Left Pre Frontal, RO-Right Occipital etc.). If my assumption is correct, is there anywhere I can find a full list of these abbreviations and their associated definitions? I’ve searched a bit on the Brainstorm site and can’t seem to find anything, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be appreciative. Specifically, I’ve checked the scouts tutorial as well as segmenting with CAT12 tutorial but haven’t been able to find a list of the abbreviations.

Thank you!

It is right, the region can be parsed as:

  1. First char is the hemisphere (L=left, R=right)
  2. The remaining 2 or 3 chars are the "lobes":
    • PF: Pre-frontal / Orbital
    • F: Frontal
    • C: Central
    • P: Parietal
    • T: Temporal
    • O: Occipital
    • L: Limbic

You can find the scouts region for various atlases (e.g., Destrieux, Desikan-Killiany, Brodmann, and more) in the function tess_detect_region.m

1 Like

Very helpful, thank you!