Error #131 OpenMEEG in Computing Head Model

Good day, I am trying to compute head model with OpenMEEG. I have already selected the cortex with lesser (15002V) vertex but the head model computation was unable to complete. These are the details of my system:

Operating system: Windows 10
Matlab version: R2014a
Brainstorm version: 12-Feb-2020
Error message:

Error: OpenMEEG call: om_assemble -HM

** "C:\Users\KS.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg.geom"

** "C:\Users\KS.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg.cond"

** "C:\Users\KS.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg_hm.mat"

** OpenMEEG error #131:

** om_assemble version 2.4.9999 compiled at Feb 1 2020 11:53:55 using OpenMP

** Executing using 4 threads.

** | ------ om_assemble

** | -HM

** | C:\Users\KS.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg.geom

** | C:\Users\KS.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg.cond

** | C:\Users\KS.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg_hm.mat

** | -----------------------

** (DEPRECATED) Please consider updating your geometry file to the new format 1.1 (see data/README.rst): C:\Users\KS.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg.geom

** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

** !!!!!!!!!!! WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!

** Geometry::mesh: Error mesh id/name not found: "C:\Users\KS.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg_2.tri"

** Mesh reader::Exception: Unable to find interface "C:\Users\KS.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg_2.tri". in the file C:\Users\KS.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg.geom

** For help with OpenMEEG errors, please refer to the online tutorial:

** https://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Tutorials/TutBem#Errors

Please let me know if there's anything I can do, or if you need more information from my side.
Thank you!

Best,
Jason

** Geometry::mesh: Error mesh id/name not found: "C:\Users\KS.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg_2.tri"

There is something wrong in preparation of the call to OpenMEEG. I suspect that there is something wrong with your database.

Go to the anatomy view, right-click on the subject folder > Reload.
Then try again starting the BEM computation.

I have the same problem (OpenMEEG error #131) when trying to compute head model for standard Brainstorm template ICBM152.

@Anton Please copy-paste the full error message here.

Francois, please, see the error message below:

** Error: OpenMEEG call: om_assemble -HM
** "C:\Users\Anton.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg.geom"
** "C:\Users\Anton.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg.cond"
** "C:\Users\Anton.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg_hm.mat"
** OpenMEEG error #131:
** om_assemble version 2.4.9999 compiled at Feb 1 2020 11:53:55 using OpenMP
** Executing using 4 threads.
** | ------ om_assemble
** | -HM
** | C:\Users\Anton.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg.geom
** | C:\Users\Anton.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg.cond
** | C:\Users\Anton.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg_hm.mat
** | -----------------------
** (DEPRECATED) Please consider updating your geometry file to the new format 1.1 (see data/README.rst): C:\Users\Anton.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg.geom
** !!!!!!!!!!! WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!
** Geometry::mesh: Error mesh id/name not found: "C:\Users\Anton.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg_2.tri"
** Mesh reader::Exception: Unable to find interface "C:\Users\Anton.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg_2.tri". in the file C:\Users\Anton.brainstorm\tmp\openmeeg.geom
** For help with OpenMEEG errors, please refer to the online tutorial:
** https://neuroimage.usc.edu/brainstorm/Tutorials/TutBem#Errors

@Anton @chiazhijien
Ok, if you both have the same error, there is probably something wrong... But I can't reproduce it, on my end it works with the ICBM152 template and Matlab 2013b (I don't have 2014a).

Could you send me an example dataset with which I could try reproducing the error?

• Right-click on the subject folder > File > Duplicate subject
  • In the duplicated subject, delete all the files that are not necessary to reproduce the error. Keep the MRI, the selected surfaces (in green) and the channel file.
  • Right-click on the duplicated subject > File > Export subject
  • Upload the .zip file somewhere (dropbox, google drive...) and post the download link here

@Anton What OS / version of Matlab / version of Brainstorm are your using?

@chiazhijien Could you try with the compiled version of Brainstorm? (requires that you install the MCR 2015b, see instructions on the Installation page on the website)

@Francois
Thank you for your reply.
Here's the link to the exported subject:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhZpt-umIJbEhPdz08SDGy4uKde7mg?e=lngJBD
Do note that I am using the default anatomy.

I will try with the compiled version of Brainstorm and let you know the results.
Thanks for your help!

@chiazhijien Thanks for the example files. I tested it and it works with OpenMEEG 2.4.1, which is the version that is downloaded automatically by Brainstorm (windows 10, Matlab 2019a/2015b):
brainstorm3/toolbox/forward/bst_openmeeg.m at master · brainstorm-tools/brainstorm3 · GitHub

image image image
@Anton @chiazhijien It looks like you both decided to install OpenMEEG 2.4.9999 instead.

1. Where did you get this release from and why have you decided to use it instead of the one installed by default by Brainstorm?
  2. Try deleting the version of OpenMEEG you have installed manually (maybe in $HOME/.brainstorm/openmeeg/, if you unzipped it with Brainstorm), and start again the computation of the forward model with the version of OpenMEEG downloaded automatically by Brainstorm.
  3. Please copy-paste here the output of the "ver" command in Matlab, for debugging purposes.

@Alexandre @papadop @mclerc Any change in the new release that could cause this problem?

Thanks, reverting to 2.4.1 solves the problem. Wondering why is there a strange 2.4.9999 thing on its download page.